Bad thoughts.

Go down

Bad thoughts.

Post  smatchiemo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 pm

So... I feel like a dick, but I'm really not digging Fringe right now. It feels like that season of Lost where they spent all their time being locked in cages. Like, I'm honestly 78% checked out and disinterested. I texted and looked at the internet on my phone for most of the episode tonight.

I'm thinking of taking a break from Fringe. I know, I know, it's evil. Ratings, blah blah. But this season has been so, so terrible. Maybe someone could clue me in as to when it gets better? I don't know.

Anyone else feel this way? Thoughts?
smatchiemo

Back to top Go down

Re: Bad thoughts.

Post  monnie44 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am

You're not a dick. I agree, it's been dragging since 3x12 without any leap in interest or quality. As much as I LOVED the Peter part of Reciprocity, I also felt like the way they chose to focus on the machine in that episode, too, was not as awesome as I would have wanted it to be. I mean, wow .. it MOVES when Peter's in the room, but couldn't he have started getting like an ear-splitting migraine and his eyes start to go and GIVE US SOME DRAMA/ACTION PLEASE? Everything feel stilted to me at the moment, and very badly written. I mean, the Sam Weiss scene? WHAT WAS THAT? Not to mention every. Peter/Olivia. scene. ever. (excluding the ones from Reciprocity, except that all Peter said in reponse every time was "thanks" ...)

At the moment love I am not even going to attempt to talk you out of giving the show a break. It is that bad. I am no longer looking forward to episodes every week and I really just want this season to be over, so we can start afresh with the team and have thrilling episodes again where there isn't this huge thing hanging over everyones heads.

In my honest opinion, it is their attempt at humanising the alt world, and giving the characters focus and full-episodes of screentime, that is the thing that broke the show. All the suspense has been lost because we are supposed to care about both sides, and we have lost our real ENEMY, you know? And I think it's the ambigiousity of the 'enemy' that made season one and two so captivating. They aren't all powerful, and they no longer have the ability to spring unseen obstacles at us because WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND HOW THEY OPERATE. I understand they wanted to try something new, but I think this is WHY no other show ever goes down this path during a 'war' of sorts. We need that fear of what the opposition could do, and now that there is no embodiment of the villian, something has been lost.

I would be more than happy, btw, to flick you an email/PM/whatever if you do decide to leave, when the episodes start getting good again or if there is one I think you'd enjoy. Smile Though I do think you should stay for next week, because it will be golden with opportunities for Peter pain.
monnie44
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smatchiemo on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am

Well, I don't quite know if I'm going to leave just yet. It'll probably take two or three more text-ful episodes to knock me off this horse. But I'll hit you up when/if I do leave!

It didn't even occur to me that the 'enemy' was the missing element, but you're totally right. We have no enemies right now. No David Robert Jones, no Thomas Jerome Newton. They've neutered the Shifties and sort of shoved them into a corner. Bell is dead. Walternate is just a douche who cheats on his wife and won't even fucking experiment on children (yeah, some villain...). Like, the story is becoming really unbalanced. They've shifted (pardon the expression) all their pieces into "everyone is a good guy!" and the audience is like, "well, uh... I guess we like the people we've been watching for the past 3 years, but the other guys are also human, so blah blah blah".

So fucking stupid. I cannot believe this is what Fringe has become. It's nowhere near as good as it once was, and that makes me sad. Sad I thought 'Earthling' was the worst episode we'd ever see. Boy, was I wrong.
smatchiemo

Back to top Go down

Post  Danielle on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Oooh, I dunno, Unearthed was up there with Earthling for me before season 3 :')

I miss Jones like you don't even know. I mourned his death even more than Charlie's xD Something was missing when he left. He left a gap in the show which Newton stepped in to fill, and now he's gone. Hell, I even miss Harris. What I wouldn't give to have that cunty little face sneering at us all again.
I miss having someone to hate. I've said it since Harris left, really, because I loved Jones and Newton. There's Olivia, but I mean I miss having someone we're supposed to hate.
You're completely right, though, in all you've said, both of you. I wish I could just stop watching it but I feel like I should stick with it through the bad because then when it gets good again my enjoyment of it will be even greater, IDK.
But yes. You're right. Full episodes on the Other Side are a nightmare, we just don't care enough about these characters.
Fringe is getting predictable as fuck, too. I mean all it took was the promo for Immortality for me to say "It's gonna be 40 minutes of bullshit, last 3 minutes Altlivia is pregnant oh no."
I can tell you now there is a 99% chance Olivia's pregnant too. It's ridiculous. I miss late season one.
Danielle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum